[Zope] "zope.org" incredibly slow

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 2 16:49:54 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote at 2004-9-2 09:44 +0100:
>I'd welcome you both on get involved and help out.
>Dieter, I know you're mroe than capable of helping make these problems
>go away.

I probably will have to sign some legal document. This scarce me away
a bit...

But, I already provided "ZopeProfiler" -- an excellent tool
to analyse why Zope applications are slow.

I also can provide a "ZEO.ServerStub.StorageServer" instrumentation
to analyse number, size and time of ZEO load operations.
This information helped us to identify useless relevance ranking
information as the main cause for extremely slow text searches.
Banning relevance ranking sped up our site significantly and drastically
reduced response variance (as the ZODB cache is no longer trashed
by text queries).

This information is also extremely helpful to detect (and fix)
bad persistency design (too large persistent objects).

I may be able to release "ztop" as open source (not sure, though -- it
was developped in employees time; must ask my employer).
"ztop" is a "top" (very useful Unix command to analyse the load of a
computer) for Zope. It collects and displays
statistical information about processed requests (number, medium,
minimal, maximal, median execution times, request rate)
and detailed information about the longest running requests.
It is an excellent tool to identify the longest running requests
("requestprofiler" may serve a similar purpose).

Finally, I implemented efficient searches ("IncrementalSearch",
"ManagableIndex", "AdvancedQuery"). They can be used to
improve searches should they be the bottleneck (what I expect).

Not so bad as contributions to speeding up "zope.org".
You understand (hopefully) that I can not do everything :-)

--
Dieter