[Zope] "zope.org" incredibly slow

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 04:32:11 EDT 2004

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>>I'd welcome you both on get involved and help out.
>>Dieter, I know you're mroe than capable of helping make these problems
>>go away.
>
> I probably will have to sign some legal document. This scarce me away
> a bit...

Be brave, it's not that scary ;-)

The crap lying around in zope.org/manage is much more scary..

That said, you don't need to sign anything to help on on zope-web...

> But, I already provided "ZopeProfiler" -- an excellent tool
> to analyse why Zope applications are slow.

Cool, although I think there are some more obvious things to be fixed
first...

> I also can provide a "ZEO.ServerStub.StorageServer" instrumentation
> to analyse number, size and time of ZEO load operations.

This is above my understanding threshold I'd afraid :-S

> This information helped us to identify useless relevance ranking
> information as the main cause for extremely slow text searches.

When you say "relevance ranking information", are you referring to some
artifact of some TextIndex implementation or something else?

> This information is also extremely helpful to detect (and fix)
> bad persistency design (too large persistent objects).

Well, if you've run it over any Plone sites adn found anything useful,
it'll probably apply to zope.org too...

> I may be able to release "ztop" as open source (not sure, though -- it
> was developped in employees time; must ask my employer).
> "ztop" is a "top" (very useful Unix command to analyse the load of a
> computer) for Zope. It collects and displays
> statistical information about processed requests (number, medium,
> minimal, maximal, median execution times, request rate)
> and detailed information about the longest running requests.
> It is an excellent tool to identify the longest running requests
> ("requestprofiler" may serve a similar purpose).

This sounds like it would be extremely useful right now, since I have a
hunch that a number of stoopid and very resource consuming pages are
lurking on zope.org right now. This sounds like it would help to
identify those and fix them, right?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk