[Zope] How do you replace content with an action?

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at cutter.rexx.com
Sat Sep 4 12:23:39 EDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:05:24AM +0200, robert rottermann wrote:

[snip]

> - create a new request and resend the result of the query with one
> detail record "filled out" each time a detail is requested. This
> approach does not involve any java script. I did send you a link to a
> sample how to do that. Maybe you have a look at it, and ask me if you
> need more explanations.

Let me re-state the above suggestion to see if I have it right:

1. Client makes a generic request.

2. Server sends a response containing hyperlinks.  Each of these
   links "drills down" to a more specific request.

3. Client clicks on one of the links to get the specific
   information s/he wants.

4. Server delivers the specific information.

This Web application style is known as REST (representational state
transfer).  It's fairly well documented and is considered, by its
proponents to be quite strong.  Here is a link:

    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RestArchitecturalStyle

Zope seems well suited for implementing applications in this style.

You can find hints for a simple method of doing the dispatching
based on the URL path here:

    http://zope.org/Members/dkuhlman/ZopeHowToNotes/#traversing-a-url-path

If you have corrections or suggestions for this document, please
send them to me.

Dave

[snip]

--