[Zope] update existing instances of a class?

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 19:14:44 EDT 2004

Aloha,

--- Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have heard it is possible to update the existing instances (so
> that they get the new properties) - is this true?
>
> Yep, using an external method, and maybe a bit of help from:
> http://www.zope.org/Members/chrisw/UpdateSupport

I don't see how UpdateSupport applies to updating existing class
instances...it seems to be for some 2.3.x catalog upgrades and Core
Session Tracking?

Anyone know of more info anywhere on updating existing class instances
when the class (in a python product) is modified by adding some
properties?

> Also, you could just add class variables to your object's class which
> have sensible default.

I don't understand - previous instances will not have the properties
unless they are updated, correct?

I need to update existing instances so that values for the 'new'
properties added can be added to the existing instances.

thanks,
John S.