[Zope] zope and PYTHONPATH

Kalyan Jammigumpula kalyan at srcc.lsu.edu
Mon Sep 20 13:34:25 EDT 2004

>>on the other python intance. So, I added the
>>/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages, the python for our local use, to
We changed the version of our local use python to python2.3. So, now our
path is /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
Zope's python is installed in /home/accts/zope/bin/python.

> No. You canot share extensions between different python versions.
> If your extension is python only, you can link/copy only this
> over into the path for your Zopes python.
??? I dont exactly understand what you mean. I sure can import modules
installed in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages with the python binary I
installed for zope from the commandline.

~zope/bin/python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Jun 24 2004, 17:07:19)
[GCC 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)] on linux2
 >>> from mx import DateTime

the above module is not installed with zope's python but still can
import it because /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages is in PYTHONPATH.

> Zope isnt really picky about python, it only expects the right
> version, that is, 2.3 for zope2.7.

What I meant was it is bound to a version. We have some non-zope,
non-web related development in python and I thought it is better to have
independent versions of python for local use and zope. It makes
upgrading either one of them a lot easier. However, we want to use some
of the modules we develop with our local use for zope. Any idea how I
could do that?
-Kalyan