[Zope] Can't locate PyObject_SetItem

Jonathan Hobbs toolkit at magma.ca
Tue Sep 21 17:17:20 EDT 2004

From: "Tim Peters" <tim.peters at gmail.com>
> [Jonathan Hobbs]
> > I am trying to track down the cause of a performance problem in
ZCTextIndex
> > (OkapiIndex is the leading contender - thanks to Dieter to for the tip!)
and
> > have gotten as far as the 'score' routine in okascore.c - which
references a
> > routine called 'PyObject_SetItem', for which I cannot locate the source
> > routine.  Does anyone know where the source for the 'PyObject_xxx'
routines
> > are stored (linux installation)?
>
> PyXYZ_ABC() functions are part of Python's C API, are supplied by your
> Python installation, and are documented in the "Python/C API" manual.
>
>     http://docs.python.org/api/object.html#l2h-208

Thanks Tim!

I have a better grasp on the situation now, but confusion still reigns... I
don't understand how PyObject_SetItem (a python/C API) can increase the size
of an IIBucket (which usually uses 'Bucket_grow' from BucketTemplate.c), but
I will take it on faith that it magically works somehow, so that I can
continue my search for the performance problem with ZCTextIndex!

Thanks again,

Jonathan