[Zope] webdav / IE

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 26 14:55:55 EDT 2004

    Dieter> John Hunter wrote at 2004-9-25 11:46 -0500:
    >> ...  Problem: IE on windows appears to want to use WebDAV,
    >> which doesn't understand cookies AFAIK and thus tries to
    >> reauthenticate using basic http authentication

    Dieter> Do you define a WebFolder to access your site?

No

    Dieter> I have seen this behaviour for WebFolders (only).  I am
    Dieter> convinced that it is a bug in the WebFolders
    Dieter> implementation which activates the relevant program
    Dieter> without authentication information. It has nothing to do
    Dieter> with CookieCrumber (which uses HTTP Authentication if
    Dieter> available).

You're right about cookie crumbler.  As I noted in a later post, I get
this on a standard zope install.  I simply create a folder which
requires authentication to view or access contents information.  I
place somefile.doc and index_html in there.  I then access index_html,
and authenticate.  If I then try and open somefile.doc I get a http
authentication dialog box again.  This doesn't happen on a right-click
save.  The error log indicates the user agent generating this failed
authentication is 'Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider
DAV'.  This happens only on IE on windows (never seen it on IE on mac)
and only on some IE/windows combinations.  Haven't been able to trace
it to a specific browser version, or anything like that.

Definitely repeatable across zope sites, all of which are using
Zope-2.7.2 in various configurations.  Haven't tested other zopes.

JDH