[Zope] Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 1 07:22:56 EST 2005

ZClasses are a feature that support through-the-web development.
Many people have found them useful in the past, but they have some
significant deficiencies, including:

- They can't be managed with file-system tools, especially
   revision control systems like CVS and subversion.

- They don't work well with Python development tools, like
   profilers and debugger.

- They aren't being actively maintained.

Most serious Zope developers stopped using them a long time
ago and are frustrated that we still expend resources keeping them
around.  For example, the release of Zope 2.8 has been delayed
by the requirement of getting ZClasses working with Zope 2.8.

We could choose to deprecate ZClasses.  If we deprecated them in
Zope 2.8, they would still work in Zope 2.8 and Zope 2.9, but
their support would be removed in Zope 2.10.  Would anyone be upset
if this happened?

Jim