[Zope] Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Wed Apr 6 14:10:45 EDT 2005

--On Mittwoch, 6. April 2005 12:59 Uhr -0500 Ausum Studio
<ausum_studio at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is this a kafkanian situation? Are really core developers asking the
> community to kick a used Zope's feature, saying it's because it's hard to
> maintain it, and simultaneously to say it's code 'unmaintained and
> untouched since ages'?

I have not seen any significant changes to ZClasses since Zope 2.4/2.5 or
so (that's when I started working for ZC and learned about Zope). Now they
broke in Zope 2.8 and kept up the release and maybe only a small number
of people have the wisdom to maintain and fix outstanding issues.

> As for ZC,  IMHO the issue should be treated as a matter of understanding
> the market rather than achieving a milestone. You created stuff that works
> in some way or another that people embraced. You also changed your company
> name to the name of the product of yours that people embraced. And no
> matter how much hype there is on new trends, you should realize that a
> song is just a song until the market say it's a hit, and that X3 is that
> song. Shall you start to put Zope2 into pieces before getting to know you
> already have a hit?  :)

I don't understand what you want to say with that but ZC also lives from
the
community and the community lives to a certain part of the work of ZC. So
is all about giving and taking :-)

-aj