[Zope] Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Wed Apr 6 16:06:21 EDT 2005

Yoohoo,

ZClasses are not an expert technology to use, they are an introduction
to Zope... Just because I use a thing, doesn't mean I can
support/maintain a thing.  I can read the list, and try to help folks
with questions that I've experienced... that's the support that can be
offered at my skill level.

If that's not enough... fine...  drop ZClasses, then DTML (you know, its
next)... and all the folks in this boat with me.

ZC should decide whether the benefits of ZClasses for low-end developers
match against the hurdles to keeping it with the newer Zope releases.
If they don't see a need for this skill-level type of tool in Zope's
feature list, they will pay down the road... Growth is king, even for
Zope, who grew this platform?  Growth means newbies, right?  What
elements got Zope to where it is?  Could ZClasses be on that list?  Why?

And seeing comments like...

- "Move to Zope Python Products" - you cant see the skill differences
between OOP & Zope's API vs. ZClasses

- "Use the Archetypes/CMF/Plone setup" - UML training? the CMF API and
Plone underpinnings, easy?

- "Maintain it yourself then" - Update very slick code within Zope's
flexible and aging API, with ZODB API too?  Maintain it...Yeah sure,
hows this afternoon.

... just show me how under-represented that beginner and intermediate
Zope developers use this list... and then I think, perhaps there aren't
any, just me and a few others... and if that's the case, Zope's screwed,
and the horse I rode in on.

And so here's the confession... "Hello, I'm Jon... I've used Zope for 2
years, and I can't help others program high-level Python OOP
tools/platform resources in a propriety web content management server.
I only can support their efforts when the occasional mailing list
opportunities present themselves."

-Jon Cyr, Intermediate Zope Developer
cyrj at cyr.info