[Zope] Persistent Objects

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:13:11 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 6:55 PM, Roy S. Rapoport <zope at ols.inorganic.org> wrote:
> Actually having said this just now, I'd say a better solution for us would
> be to actually initialize an object when the user logs in -- we can
> tolerate that delay, and that gives us a relatively fresh snapshot of the
> current situation.  Don't know how that changes things.  It feels like it
> should make it easier.

Yes, and no.

In that case I would just store the information as usual in the ZODB,
that is, the data is persistent across server restarts, but call a
method that updates it when you log in (or simply have a button to do
it).

But the difference is rather small, since yo just call the methods at
different times, and store the information in different places.

> Hmm.  I'd be willing to use Z3, I think -- I haven't done Zope development
> for about 6-9 months, but all my previous experience has been on 2.x.  The
> other people involved in this are all brand new to Zope.  Why should I use
> Z3? Does it have better documentation? :)

Actually, it does, :) But mainly, it solves a lot of things that were
problematic with Zope. All development is (currently, this will
change) done on the file system, no more tricky Python Scripts for
example.

It also allows you to do more things in pure Python, and then "wrap"
it in Zope configuration stuff. That makes test driven development
easier, and also reusing pure python stuff gets easier.

Read a bit about it, and see what you think:
http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book

Zope2 is still good. Zope 3 is just better, in many ways, although it
still lacks in third-party product support.