[Zope] understanding Zope's memory usage

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Wed Apr 13 05:19:52 EDT 2005

--On Mittwoch, 13. April 2005 10:51 Uhr +0200 Lucas Hofman
<lucas.hofman at pgs.com> wrote:

> I am running a server with a handfull of plone intranet sites. The server
> has 4GB  memory, but is now starting to page.
>
> What I notice is that the different Plone instances vary widely in there
> memory usage. For one site every process uses 400Mb, and there are 6
> processes running! That is 2.4 Gbyte for one site!

Zope runs only in one process with multiple threads (where threads on some
OSes
are implemented as processes :-))

> I see there is one deamon process that is small, and 6 processes that are
> big. If we call the six biggies a-f:
> deamon start a
> a starts b
> b starts c d e f
>
> c d e f are probably zserver threads, but what do process a and b? And
> why do the all have the same size and RSS? What are the alternatives to
> limit the memory consumption?

a or b is  likely the zdaemon spawning up the threads.

>What are the alternatives to
> limit the memory consumption?

Restarting Zope regularly (at night) might be a wise choice (this is
a *serious* advice).

-aj