[Zope] Organisational vs. Functional hierarchies

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Apr 19 13:17:30 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 18:43 +0200, bruno modulix wrote:
[...]
> > All of B's siblings are the same sort of object.
>
> Why do you have this strange idea ?

From, uh, the documentation... because all of B's siblings will inherit
the same methods from A.

[...]
> Then calls like:
> Rose/Text/MyFavouriteRoseStories/text_methods/do_this

Ah, so *that's* how acquisition by context works! (I couldn't find any
documentation on this. All the documentation about acquisition by
context just says 'this is really complicated and I'm not going to
describe it here'.)

> 2/ Write a product for your object types. Here it could be a Flower
> object, extending Folder so you can put texts and images in, and having
> all the code needed for your texts and images.

Unfortunately, this requires having the code dealing with text and
images to be in the same place, which breaks encapsulation.

It actually looks like acquisition by context is most likely my best bet
so far...

Incidentally, is it possible to override the default behaviour of an
object? Is there any way of allowing Rose/MyFavouriteRoseStories do
something *other* than just executing the named page template, other
than making MyFavouriteRoseStories a folder and overriding index_html?

[...]
> Anyway, you *should* write your own Products - and for this kind of
> things, it's pretty easy.

Meh. Can you point me at any good tutorial documentations?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "The cup of Ireland's misfortunes has been
+- www.cowlark.com --+