[Zope] How to convert Zope instance charset?

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Sun Apr 24 10:03:07 EDT 2005

Sunday, April 24, 2005, 2:36:24 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Sonntag, 24. April 2005 14:18 Uhr +0200 Daniel Dekany
> <ddekany at freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> I have a Zope instance that uses utf-8 for everything. Since
>> Python/Zope/etc practically doesn't support utf-8,
>
> Please explain in which sense Zope would not support utf-8. For your
> information:

It can't sort strings alphabetically *anywhere* (concretely: the
accented letters will go to the end of the list -- I guess because 0x80
is mathematically greater than the code of the US-ASCII characters).
Kind of basic fundamental thing for a portal, or for text handling in
general. I have asked here earlier how to solve it, but there was no
answer that could be applied in practice (i.e. the answer was that I
should write custom fixes for each individual products, and/or write a
patch for Zope, and then maybe for Python... If so, this is equal of
saying that UTF-8 is not supported yet).

> Plone has UTF8 as default charset.

Aha. Then this is why this Plone site I should fix/maintain used UTF-8
everywhere. I believed it was a bad decision of my predecessor. (But
then this problem is even more mysterious for me: *if* it doesn't
working (yet), then why did the Plone authors chose that?)

> In general Zope does not care much about
> encoded strings except for some conversions. Dealing with utf8 might be
> tricky
> in some cases but saying Zope does not support Utf-8 is wrong.

Believe me, I really hope I'm wrong. So how could I achieve that strings
are sorted correctly? If it works for someone, how? (I have locale
hu_HU.UTF-8 in zope.conf, I have even printed
locale.getlocale(locale.LC_COLLATE) from products and external methods,
and it was hu_HU.UTF-8. Note that at least on Python level sorting with
hu_HU.ISO-8859-2 works... so I hope it would work with Plone as well.)

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany