[Zope] Re: Zeo

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Wed Apr 27 16:00:13 EDT 2005

FYI,

Back during 2.6.x, I developed my whole system on a Windows Laptop,
migrated to a Windows ZEO System, 1 client, 1 server.   Then moved the
ZEO client & server to Red Hat AS 2.1, and now finally to SuSE 9.0.
The only differences for me were the steps in installing PIL (Python
Imaging Library) on Linux vs. Windows.  I had to wait to be more
comfortable deploying on Linux, but Zope was obviously ready for Linux
long before I was.

If you can stay away from platform-dependent products, and their
dependencies, (Photo Product & ImageMagick for one), you should be able
to mix and match.  The underlying python seems to facilitate this being
a sort of intermediary compatibilty layer.  My approach was to make sure
every component and dependency was python based.

Make sure to follow the directions for ZEO client/server compatibility,
but those are python concerns.

As for performance, I found Linux to be a large boost, especially when
run without a GUI... the nature of the beast seems to lean toward Linux
for good reason.

The other item you'll find on the list, is that a ZEO configuration is
much more stable and forgiving than the quite-stable stand-alone Zope.
Even internal Zope routines run better in a ZEO setup.

-Jon Cyr
WeddingWeblog.com