[Zope] MVC Approach

Thomas Adams thomas.adams at onlinehome.de
Wed Aug 3 17:29:36 EDT 2005

Asad Habib schrieb:

>Hi Thomas. If you plan to implement MVC, my advice would be to stick to
>Java technology - it's by far the best for implementing MVC - I mean
>literally the best! You may want to look at JSF or the Spring frameworkas
>alternatives to Struts.
>
>- Asad
>

>On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Thomas Adams wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm a newbie to Zope, using version 2.7.3 (okay it is not the newest one)
>>and I want to know if there is something
>>like a MVC approach available for Zope, i.e. Model-View-Controller
>>approach, as it is for instance in Java with  the Struts framework from
>>Apache.
>>
>>To be more specific:
>>
>>- The Model consists of several python classes implementing business logic
>>(the pendant to Enterprise Java Beans or simple Java Beans)
>>
>>- The Views producing  the visual appearance of the business objects
>>  (in java or more specific in Struts these are the custom tag libraries)
>>
>>- The Controller, as a kind of glue between the two above, is
>>controlling the work/process-flow
>>  (in java with servlets and in struts with actions classes (as a minimum) )
>>
>>To transfer this appraoch to Zope, I'm not sure:

>>Controller:
>>PythonScripts?
>>
>>Models:
>>I'm absolutely not sure, Pluggable brains? (the Zope book has a example
>>but only as a handling of resultsets)
>>
>>So if has anybody a hint if there are some resources
>>in the web, please post it.
>>
>>P.S: I don't know Zope 3 (Is that apossible answer of my questions?)
>>
>>Thasnks in advance
>>Regards
>>Thomas Adams

Hi Asad ,

I was afraid of that ;-(. But let me spin around yet:

            ZPT's/DTML's with appropriate properties managing view
concerns, genaralized  for a  category
           of possible (already standardised) business/zope objects
(gaining from aquisition rules)
    --- Displaying Results: Pluggable Brains as subclass of above ones

- Model :
    Perhaps Zope Products ???, handling business logic , I'm not sure if
that would work, perhaps a so
    called workaround with.interfacing and so on.

- Controllers:
   really PhytonSricpts, I think so, or alternatively dtml-methods

So, why I'm asking:

I want to implement a standardized web application (at this time it's
only a stupid
choose and buy like any other so called e-commerce/shopping cart system
, but my
intention is to make it almost configurable in all three aspects (i know
... but William S. wrote
#################
#And enterprises of great pith and moment
#With this regard their currents turn awry,
#And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
#The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
#Be all my sins remember'd.

Is that totally wrong?
or is that a so called acceptable (but not ideal) approach?

Thanks in Advance
Thomas  Adams