[Zope] Re: localhost:8080 not found on windows

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Aug 9 12:08:10 EDT 2005

michael nt milne wrote:
> Ok, thanks. Yes, Apache would be much better to route traffic through.
> And also it looks like a complete pain to try and route traffic
> through IIS.

That's my understanding. You can either look up the ASP404 hack or use
something like http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/EEP

> Is Apache for windows good? I only have experience of it
> on UNIX>

I last ran Apache on Windows back when it was 1.something. It still had
a "be careful on Windows" notice, in fact. I didn't have any problems,
but then I wasn't using it very hard. I would assume it's gotten better.

> Since I am not expecting very high traffic for my site at first I am
> going to use the Zope server at first. My head is hurting too much
> just now!

Apache is useful for keeping maliciously formed requests and other junk
away from Zope. ZServer is capable, but Apache is much more serious.
Running Zope exposed to the public network is not the best idea in the
world, though you can get away with it.

> By the way do you have any experience of altering the zope database or
> adding fields to the registration process on Plone etc? Seems a wee
> bit tricky and a client wants extra fields etc.

See CMFMember. Also, ther's a howto on plone.org about this. There's
about four places you have to touch, but it's not such a big deal.

		--jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/