[Zope] Re: PLEASE HELP with VHM Problem!!

Malcolm Cleaton malcolm at jamkit.com
Mon Aug 15 10:25:45 EDT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:54:35 -0400, beno wrote:
> I still do not have a solution to get my VHM working. My programmer is
> on vacation and I don't know how he's got things configured. I copied,
> pasted and edited an entry in our httpd.conf file thus:
>
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.centurionsecurityvi.com:80/centurionsecurityvi.com/VirtualHostRoot/$1
> [L,P]

This redirect looks absolutely fine. I duplicated this in my own setup.
Initially, visiting it produced an error (as I didn't have a folder
"centurionsecurityvi.com"), but when I added that folder, everything
worked fine, and browsing to http://www.centurionsecurityvi.com (which I
mapped to localhost in /etc/hosts on my machine) rendered the contents of
the folder correctly.

> rebooted our FreeBSD machine, and then followed the instructions in our
> VHM by entering these fields:
> centurionsecurityvi.com
> /centurionsecurityvi.com
> (Yes, that's the dir.) VHM tells me this dir can't be found. Wazzup?!
> I'm looking at the darn thing! Don't tell me it can't be found! Waaaaaah!
> Please help.
> beno

Ah, ok. I see that if you edit the mappings tab on the VHM, you can
generate such an error. However, with a redirect like the one you quote
above, there is no need to touch the VHM mappings - the redirect is all
that is needed.

I can't reproduce your bug though - when I have a folder called
centurionsecurityvi.com and add a mapping line reading:

centurionsecurityvi.com/centurionsecurityvi.com

I don't get an error. To see the error you're seeing, I first have to
break the second component of the VHM mapping entry, so that it is not the
same as the id of a top-level folder.

I tried hitting your site from here. At
http://www.centurionsecurityvi.com, I get a Not Found error for the
centurionsecurityvi.com folder.

But, if I hit
http://www.centurionsecurityvi.com:8080/centurionsecurityvi.com I get the
same error.

As far as I can see, the only thing which could cause this problem is if
the Zope running on this host on port 8080 doesn't have an object at the
path /centurionsecurityvi.com, and that your error has nothing to do with
the apache redirect, which seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Malcolm.

--