[Zope] Workflow & automatic trigger from FTP (PUT) (was Workflow Problem)

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Aug 19 10:14:41 EDT 2005

An automatic trigger in workflow appears possible from FTP'd content
but to soon to be involved in zope heirarchy.  You can get hold of the
state_change object from the workflow itself but methods that would
normally be available such as its data attribute or manage_ xxxObjects
type methods are unavailable since the object does not enter the
heirarchy until the FTP transaction has completed.  A FTP 426 Error
results with any attempt to use any of these methods.

But it is still possible to use the automatic transition and obtain the
body from the FTP request and do something with the file data. The
automatic transition I am writing involves removing the object after it
has been transferred to the site (since it is only used to make a few
objects, the data is large and not important to store it afterwards).
So am able to use the data from the object being FTP'd in the automatic
transition's script (which is good) but
am looking for a solution to provide the FTP client with an 226
Transfer complete message to complete its transaction after doing what
I want with the data (without the file landing in the folder).

manage_delObjects cannot be used in the script since the object is
really not in the folder itself until after FTP transaction completes.
The problem with letting the FTP transaction complete is that I cannot
think of a way to have a fully automatic process - since automation in
workflow with any number of states would still be sequential and before
FTP transaction is complete.  So I would likely have to cron a process
to clean up the folder (which is undesirable).

Regards,
David