[Zope] ZEO troubles on RedHat EL4 Linux

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Aug 19 13:18:34 EDT 2005

Hi Tim,

Tim Peters wrote at 2005-8-19 11:15 -0400:
>"The tests are dodgy" sounds
>appealing until you think about what they do related to the point of
>failure:  spawn a process, and wait for it to exit later, passing
>waitpid() the pid returned by spawnve().  There just isn't anything
>complicated (at the Python level) going on there.

There is one essential thing you stress over and over again -- but
which I am not sure:

      You say, the exception in "tearDown" means that
      the test completed successfully -- without any error.

      However, I am convinced that "tearDown" is called, too,
      when the test fails.

I did not point this out earlier, because you are probably right.

   If the test itself had failed, we should probably have seen
   a previous exception and a "pid" cannot be registered for
   later clean up before it was created.

Looks as if there were something that eats the dead child before
the "waitpid" could take care of it.

  I know that a SIGCHLD/SIG_IGN can do that
  or a "waitpid(pid)" with "pid <= 0".

If for some reason, a value "<= 0" happened to arrive in the
list of processes to be cleaned up, then this could explain
the strange non-deterministic behaviour.

--
Dieter