[Zope] File objects with illegal characters

Peter Bengtsson peterbe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 11:31:40 EDT 2005

> > What is the best way to deal with file uploads with illegal
> > characters?
> > I have no problem stripping the filenames such that "_Peter[1].doc"
> > becomes "Peter1.doc" before it's manage_addFile'ed.
> > But suppose I want to maintain the exact filename as it was on the
> > harddrive, how do you deal with that?
>
> What is the use case?

Nothing in particular. I've been working on inbound email file
attachments with weird (window$ guily) file names.
http://www.issuetrackerproduct.com/News/inbound-email-feature-set-up-for-testing

> If a filename is illegal as a URL then that's that. All you could
> possibly do would be to stick the illegal name into another attribute
> and show it as additional piece of information for the content. You
> cannot make an illegal filename legal as a URL for download, unless
> you hack the regexes in CMF/Zope and just disregard interoperability.

Good point. I'm confident there's no need to do for the web then.
However, there might be a solution for those who'd want to do it by
using the content-disposition header from an attribute. (but that
wouldn't work with wget)

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com