[Zope] Zope scalabilty and problems

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Aug 31 12:50:27 EDT 2005

Kennamore, Matthew G [NTK] wrote:
> Here is our situation, we originally launched zope with a small user
> base in mind and like most IT implementations it got away from us
> quickly and we have over 1000 users now.  We are experiencing huge
> slowdowns and lots of complaints of performance.
>
> Let me outline our system:
>
> I have a load balancer that round robins incoming request to 3 zeo servers
>
> I have 1 zope server on the back en that severs the data, this is a
> large single processor machine with 4 gigs of ram
>
> Each zeo server is 2 gigs of ram, single processor 3.2 gighz
>
> The throughput doesn’t appear to be the problem as ram/processors are.
>
> Short term I plan to change all zeo’s to 4 gigs ram and add 3 additional
> servers.
>

> The Technologies we are using are Zope, Zeo, plone and so forth.  Why
> are we having these large issues?  I see sites with hundreds of
> thousands of users and they don’t seem to have these issues?  We plan to
> recode our site to get away from the Data.fs as soon as we can but that
> is a ways off yet.  What am I doing wrong can anyone help?

You will need to find out where the slow bits are. There are various
profiling tools for use in Zope. PTProfiler, CallProfiler, etc. Also
examine your ZODB cache graphs and settings. These can tell you where
your bottlenecks are.

There are lots of ways to improve performance just administratively. You
can improve various zope.conf settings, and set up caching (either RAM
or HTTP Accel.) in Plone. You can also put a caching proxy server (like
Squid) in front of your Zopes.

Also, Plone 2.1 is significantly faster.

		--jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/