[Zope] Re: Re: why will FastCGI not be supported in the Future.

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Dec 9 20:57:59 EST 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:39:37 -0800, Chris Withers
<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> The original poster explained his wish to retain FCGI:
>>    It reuses an existing connection between Apache and Zope
>>   while (he thinks and I might believe it) the recommended
>>   "mod_proxy" way each time opens a new connection.
>>    Thus, FastCGI might be more efficient.
>
> Show me some evidence proving that fcgi or mod_proxy is the significant
> limiting performance factor in a setup involving zope and I'll take this
> seriously ;-)

FWIW, we did some rudimentary benchmarking with Zope + Apache using
mod_proxy vs. Zope + FastCGI + lighttpd (a very fast and lightweight web
server). There was no difference in performance since Zope is so slow in
the first place - so it didn't make any difference.