[Zope] Zope Persistence (was: XML-RPC within ZOPE)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Dec 16 20:24:11 EST 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:02 PM, Jan-Ole Esleben wrote:

>> I don't understand the problem.  How is using XML-RPC incompatible
>> with persistence?  What are you trying to exclude?
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand _that_ question. What am I trying to
> _exclude_?

You said:

""" it would most certainly be extremely hard to foresee the exact
setup of such situations and impossible to exclude them """

> XML-RPC and (the concept of) persistence aren't incompatible. XML-RPC
> (on a ZOPE server) and ZOPE persistence are, to the extent described
> by others in this thread, not by me. I just described a couple more
> cases (and specifically one case) where it is bad that things are this
> way (and cannot be solved by better design).

AFAICT, people have told you to not use XML-RPC here and when you
said it was not possible to avoid the use of XML-RPC, they provided
suggestion about how to accomplish what you wanted anyway.  So I'm
not sure what the exact problem is.

> My point is: this doesn't happen _within_ single "programs", but
> everywhere there is even the slightest bit of communication there is a
> chance of it happening.

The chance of what happening, sorry?  I'm still trying to understand
the problem.  The only problem that was noted so far was a deadlock
potential by Dieter which presumed you were doing XML-RPC requests to
the same system which accepts them.  This is an unusual thing to do;
it wouldn't happen under "normal" circumstances.

- C