[Zope] Zope Persistence (was: XML-RPC within ZOPE)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 08:01:54 EST 2005

On 12/17/05, Jan-Ole Esleben <esleben at gmail.com> wrote:
> That ZOPE raises an error is fine. That I _might_ run into such
> situations with other tools is true.

You *will* run into these problems in exactly the same cases in any other tool.

> But in ZOPE, it is definitely the
> case that data and program are coupled in an implicit way that makes
> these cases much harder to debug and avoid, because if the two methods
> in my example operate on different sets of data, which they probably
> would, or if one of them did a read before calling the external method
> and then afterwards a write (on an SQL database maybe), nothing would
> happen if I used explicit data storage!

It will not happen i Zope in this case either.

> In Zope, it's just the whole object that's tainted.

You just said "different sets of data". That reasonably must mean
different objects, unless you envision having huge objects with only
marginally connected sets of data all stored as attributes. And then
you have other problems. :-)

> That's my whole point. I think it is a very
> significant point nonetheless, because this is just an extreme case of
> what happens when you couple data and programs, and persistent classes
> are just that: application data inside program code.

Eh, no they aren't.