[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: sessions in the presence of conflicts

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 20 00:36:59 EST 2005

The interaction between sessions, conflicts, and persistence is a bit
confusing.  I am still trying to understand the code in depth.

One thing is for sure, request.SESSION and/or request['SESSION'] must be
persistent for things to work.  Mutable objects in the session variable
set (dictionaries and lists) have to be handled specially to get the
persistence machinery to recognize they have been changed.

In this case, I am trying to ensure that the session variables get
identified as persistent.  My question is whether using update (an
implicit assignment) triggers the persistence mechanism.  It is the
moral equivalent of writing

	request['SESSION']['alpha'] = 'a'B
	request['SESSION']['beta'] = 'b'

but I am unsure whether the persistence mechanism will recognize it as
such.

Doing session variable initialization in a Script(Python) object has a
downside because one cannot set a _p_changed attribute and so must rely on
the assignment paradigm.  Perhaps the interface should be in a Product or
External Method which is less constrained.

Anyhow, David, thanks for the assist.