[Zope] Re: optimising Zope startup time

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Feb 3 17:05:42 EST 2005

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Tres Seaver <tseaver at zope.com> [2005.02.03.1939 +0100]:
>
>>Use ZEO, even for development sandboxes (a lot of the startup time
>>without ZEO is spent opening the FileStorage).  With ZEO, the appserver
>>just connects to the storage server.
>

> Ha! I have only just begun claiming I understand Zope. And my time
> is very limited as I have to deliver next week already. So unless
> ZEO is a breeze to set up (running Debian Linux here), I will need
> to pass this time around (but thanks for the hint, it's surely worth
> a look once I get some time...)

Very easy to set up with Zope 2.7.

Run Zope-2.7.4-0/bin/mkzeoclient
then Zope-2.7.4-0/bin/mkzopeclient

You can give them the same directory. I often do.

In instance/etc/zope.conf, go to the bottom, comment out the regular
ZODB directive and uncomment the ZEO directive. Note the ZEO port.

In instance/etc/zeo.conf, make sure the port number matches the one in
zope.conf (which isn't true by default, strangely.)

Then:
$ instance/bin/zeoctl start
$ instance/bin/zopectl start

And you're done.