[Zope] LdapUserFolder 2.4 Authentication Woes

Edward Pollard pollej at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 8 12:32:44 EST 2005

I'm in the midst of a hardware upgrade, which has precipitated some
software upgrades since its a convenient time.

I'm moving from:
Zope 2.6.0/Python 2.1.3/LDAPUserFolder 2.3
to:
Zope 2.7.4/Python 2.3.4/LDAPUserFolder 2.4

My problem is that LDAPUserSatellites don't seem to work.

My process:

First, I deleted the old LDAP folders and satellites, and recreated new
ones. Aside from the new login name attribute, the folders were
identical. (I've set Login Name, User ID, and RDN all to UID)

I then created an acl_sattelite one folder down, and mapped a  LDAP
group to Manager.

I then tried to log into the ZMI. It did not work, and the cache in the
LDAP User Folder only showed my account with the authenticated and
anonymous roles. So, I'd logged in fine, I just didn't get any Zope
roles out of the deal, which is what the LDAP satellite was supposed to
do, right?

I then deleted the satellite, and copied the LDAP User Folder down to
where the satellite was. I then mapped the same LDAP group to Manager
in the User Folder

I could then log into the ZMI

My understanding of the process is that these two setups are logically
equivalent, and as such something is not working the way its supposed
to, which is why I'm bothering all you fine people.

One more little puzzler:
With LDAPUserFolder 2.3, when I log in the Cache shows all my LDAP
Groups (and there are many) in the Roles field. In 2.4, it no longer
does this. In the configuration that works above it did add Manager to
my Roles field (as opposed to just Authenticated and Anonymous in the
configuration that did not work). Is this reflecting just a change in
the logic of the product (I could see why), or is this reflecting some
facet of the problem I'm experiencing?

Thanks,

---
Edward J. Pollard, B.Sc