[Zope] Problems with removing Verbose Security and possibly Apelib

Chris Kratz chris.kratz at vistashare.com
Fri Feb 11 12:39:46 EST 2005

We've run into a very strange situation.  We been running zope 2.7.3 with
Abelib 1.0 and Verbose Security 0.6.  Verbose Security is great during
development, but it does cause somewhat of a performance hit on a live
server.  So, recently after profiling our app in zope and finding that
Verbose Security was eating a fair amount of time, I decided to try and
remove it on our production systems.

I removed the Verbose Security from the products directory and from the
Products list in the control panel and tried the app again.

Unfortunately, this causes the app to break.  What appears to happen is that
on any object we have used proxy settings on, when run without verbose
security, we get a security error.  If I go into that object on to the proxy
tab, the roles are still selected and clicking update (with making no other
changes), "fixes" the problem for a user.

What is even weirder is that because we are using apelib, it is easy to see
the changes made to the object when we make changes in the zmi.  In this
particular instance, we can see that even though the object was saved in the
ZMI, and the files on disk were modified, the contents of the objects did not
change when we updated the proxy settings, yet zope now appears to obey them.

The last piece of the puzzle is that returning the VerboseSecurity product
allows the application to start working again, proxy roles and all.  Any
ideas as to why this might be?  Is there a chance that the monkey patching
Verbose Security does is not reversible?  Or is there some weird problem
caused by using Verbose Security and Apelib?

Thanks for your time,

-Chris

---
Error example

Error Type: Unauthorized
Error Value: You are not allowed to access 'select' in this context

...last lines in traceback
# PythonScript at /somefunction>
Line 3
# Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 178, in __getattr__
Unauthorized: You are not allowed to access 'select' in this context