[Zope] Strategy for taking site offline temporarily

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 06:54:33 EST 2005

David Pratt wrote:

> What is the best strategy for taking a zope site temporarily offlineso
> visitors are provided with friendly message while manager (or other
> intermediate manager roles) can still view.

I build the message as a page template.

If you go to:

http://example.com/a_page_template/x/y/z

it doesn't matter what x, y and z are, the page template will still get
called and rendered, which is exactly what you want here.

I then use the rename form to rename the original site folder out the
way and replace it with the page template.

Bu ticking both the template and the site folder before hitting the
rename button, they both get renamed in one transaction, so there's no
possibility of people getting a 404, even on high-volume sites.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk