[Zope] Zope X3 vs. Zope 2.7.4

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 05:06:55 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> this is a totally unfair statement! We are committed to backward-compatibility
> and I, as well as other others, have put great care and effort into ensuring
> backward-compatibility in the trunk. Jim actually told me offline that he was
> surprised how few hickups they had when I checked in my refacotrings
> recently.

I'm sure this is true from where you sit, but you're happy to use the
bleeding edge all the time ;-)
If you need to write "BBB code", then if someone who used the thing you
wrote the BBB for will have to change their code to use the "proper" api
at some point. That requires work. My point is that, for me, and most
people looking for stability, Zope 3 is still changing too fast to go
for as a solution. I think it's getting much better, but not quite there
yet ;-) (see latest discussions about whether to rip out the
pluggableauth stuff and bring something else back)

> Some very nice software has been written for Zope 3 already and all of them
> have no problem keeping their code working using the latest SVN trunk.

I don't doubt it! I'm excited about tackling Zope 3 as a user some time
soon...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk