[Zope] IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied (Zope 2.7.3)

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jan 10 02:58:40 EST 2005

--On Montag, 10. Januar 2005 7:45 Uhr +0000 Magnus Lawrie
<m.lawrie at gmx.net> wrote:

> Magnus Lawrie wrote:
>
>> I don't have a record of the original error, but ran the make install
>> command once again. The last three lines:
>>
>> copying version.txt -> /opt/Zope-2.7/lib/python/.
>> error: /opt/Zope-2.7/lib/python/./version.txt: Permission denied
>> make: *** [install] Error 1

The former reply already answered your question:

 - you installed Zope as root

 - all your files are installed as root

 - if you start Zope as non-root then Zope won't start because it can not
    open Data.fs for writing because 'var/*' is not writeable.

Either change the owner of the installed files or change the permissions
or use the installation method using a dedicated INSTANCE_HOME which is
the recommended way to go. Both is explained  here:

<http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/InstallingZope.stx>

-aj