[Zope] Python 2.3.3 vs. Python 2.3.4

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Mon Jan 17 12:58:35 EST 2005

hpinson at indepthl.com wrote:
>>>perhaps an rpm -Uvh rather than an rom -ivh is a better idea
>>>when upgrading?
>

> I am literally terrified of overwriting the Fedora Core 1 System

I suggest that you check where the default python is installed with
commands like `whereis python`.
Most likely it will be in /usr/bin/python.
If that is the case, you could install the up-to-date version in
/usr/local. Otherwise any directory that you have write permission
will suffice.

> This is maybe what I should do.  Can and one provide definitive
> insight into how to do this alongside the existing FC1 python. The
> two python versions must be completely separate, or the system is
> toast.
>
> I'm guessing something along the lines of:
>
> cd python2.4

2.4 or 2.3.4 (in the title)! Pay attention to version numbers.

> configure --prefix=/where/should/I/put/python?
> make
> make install
>
> Per above, I need help with the prefix-- what should the path to the
> new python be? There shold be no chance of overwriting the system
> python.

--prefix=/usr/local # but do the check first, I have no experience
with FC1 distro.

You can also rename the python binaries to python2.4 (post-install)
to avoid confusion amongst the maitenance team.

regards,
Senra

--
Rodrigo Senra