[Zope] Re: Python 2.3.3 vs. Python 2.3.4

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Mon Jan 17 18:38:04 EST 2005

Ok. This seems to have worked for me on Fedora Core 1, where there is
a risk of hosing your system python if you do not do this right.

I chose to build a clean verion of Python 2.3.4 and run it alongside
other Python versions that were on the system.

Get Python from www.python.org
Put the tarball somewhere, like: /home/myhome/src/python/2.34
su to root
cd /home/myhome/src/python/2.34
gunzip version_of_python.tgz
tar -xvf version_of_python.tar
cd version_of_python
./configure --prefix=/opt/python2.3.4
make
make install
ln -s /opt/python.2.3.4/bin/python2.3 /usr/bin/python2.3.4
cd /usr/bin
chmod 755 python2.3.4

To test, type: python2.3.4
You should get a version listing of 2.3.4 and the Python console.
Ctrl-D to exit.

Then modify zopectl and runzope in /etc/zope-instance/bin to point to
 the new path to Python 2.3.4. Back these files up before making
changes.

Restart Zope, hopefully without any problems:

service zopectl restart (assuming you have created such a service)

If Zope will not start, you can always revert the paths in zopectl
and runzope to the old python, whatever that was.

Again, be very careful on Redhat / Fedora systems that rely on Python
for critical services... I would hate to hear that someone overwrote
their system Python!

Good luck to the next vict... er... I mean... lucky person who trys
this.

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson at indepthl.com