[Zope] Bad performances with ordered folders

Thierry FLORAC tflorac at onf.fr
Tue Jan 18 03:13:27 EST 2005

  Hi,

I use Zope (2.6.1) and subclasses of the "old" OrderedFolder product
(release 0.4) to handle my internal site.

Each "sub-site" is a kind of "big folder", handled by a specific
"sub-manager", containing until two levels of sub-folders. Each folder
or sub-folder is a subclass of OrderedObjectManager, containing
documents (stored as ExternalFile subclasses) as well as other instances
of custom properties.
I have an "index_html" method (in DTML) defined for each folder or
sub-folder, which displays the ordered hierarchy of the given folders or
sub-folders ; access is checked against every sub-folder, so that
"private" folders or sub-folders are not displayed to unauthorized
users.

Data handling is OK, but while displaying my other custom classes
instances is quite quick, displaying these OrderedObjectManager
instances is quite slow, even when a sub-site is containing only a few
number of folders or sub-folders.

I've tried to use a profiler to find a bottleneck, but don't know Zope
and Python internals very well so handling this problem is not very
easy.
Any help or advise would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Thierry