[Zope] ZODB packaging behaviour: bug or feature?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 14:25:38 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> If you're using a current ZODB (anything at or after 3.2.1c1; 3.2.5 is
> the latest stable release in the 3.2 line), an attempt to pack to a
> time earlier than the most recent time ever packed to shouldn't do
> anything more than raise a FileStorageError with this detail:
>
>     The database has already been packed to a later time
>     or no changes have been made since the last pack

I'm sure I remember discussions where it was agreed that this annoying
behaviour would be dropped?
(or at least turned into a subclass that could be easily caught, rather
than having to catch FileStorageError and then do a string comparison on
the exception arguments :-( )

> Manually packing the database to 0 is a novel meaning for "never
> packed the database to 0 days" <wink>.

Why not? (sorry for being slow)

cheers,

Chris