[Zope] ZODB packaging behaviour: bug or feature?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:33:50 EST 2005

[Tim Peters]
>>> If you're using a current ZODB (anything at or after 3.2.1c1;
>>> 3.2.5 is the latest stable release in the 3.2 line), an attempt to
>>> pack to a time earlier than the most recent time ever packed to
>>> shouldn't do anything more than raise a FileStorageError with
>>> this detail:
>>>
>>>     The database has already been packed to a later time
>>>     or no changes have been made since the last pack

[Chris Withers]
>> I'm sure I remember discussions where it was agreed that this
>> annoying behaviour would be dropped?
>> (or at least turned into a subclass that could be easily caught,
>> rathe than having to catch FileStorageError and then do a string
>> comparison o the exception arguments :-( )

[Tim]
> It was changed (to log a message instead).  I see that it's in ZODB
> 3.3 (under svn), but not on the Zope-2_7-branch branch of ZODB3 (under
> CVS).  Don't know what happened there.  Looks like we're missing
> several changes that were checked in -- maybe they're only on ZODB3
> HEAD?  Something's screwed up here indeed.

After more staring, same story:  the changes are in ZODB 3.3 (used
with Zope 2.8 and Zope 3), but not on CVS's Zope-2_7-branch branch of
ZODB3.  I don't intend to address anything other than critical
bugfixes in the ZODB 3.2 line anymore, so I don't intend to change
this.  If someone else wants to merge in this specific change on
Zope-2_7-branch, that would be OK by me.