[Zope] documentation defacement

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Jan 25 18:56:58 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 17:33, Fred Drake wrote:
> 1. General editing in the non-canonical location is bad, and
> misleading for potential contributors.  This is especially true for
> occaisional contributors like me.

The canonical location is pretty broken ATM, however.  At times, it can
take several minutes to save a document.  At least that was the case
when we decided to move the development docs to plope.com.

> 2. Being able to incrementally update from the maintained version
> without losing annotations seems necessary, unless we require that all
> annotations be handled or integrated by the time the update is
> performed.  Such a requirement is not acceptable.

AFAIK, there is no incremental update to be done from the maintained
version.  There is only one maintained version of the 2.7 book at the
moment, and that's on plope.com.  The 2.6 version is no longer
maintained.

> I don't know if BackTalk can be used that way, or can be easily
> modified to do so.
>
> Given the synchonization issue, I'd gladly give up the annotations if
> the documents became easier to update, and have the updates actually
> make it to the published version (regardless of where that is).

I'm not sure there is a synchronization issue.  There's definitely a
locking issue... not allowing people to step on each others' changes.
But this is currently handled manually (via the maintenance signup
process) as well as via DAV locking.

The 2.6 book commenting feature should be turned off now that the 2.7
book is in development.  That it hasn't been is an oversight.  When the
2.7 version is finished, it should accept comments (it currently
doesnt).

All that said, I'm happy to do whatever everybody else wants to do.  I
understand that not everyone is a fan of the commenting feature,
although I do think it contributes immensely to the docs, especially
during new version development.  There is also a feature to turn *off*
the comments on the viewed output but it appears that it's not "sticky"
at the moment... it needs to be clicked for every page.  Not sure why
that is.  That can be fixed, if it made any difference.

- C