[Zope] Apache 2 + Zope can't gzip HTTP response body?

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Sun Jul 3 20:26:03 EDT 2005

Monday, July 4, 2005, 12:00:38 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Daniel Dekany wrote at 2005-7-2 20:56 +0200:
>>Can I use HTTP "Content-Encoding: gzip" for Zope if I use Apache 2? (And
>>should I use gzip content-encoding?)
>>
>>The mod_gzip doesn't work with Apache 2, but instead it has mod_deflate.
>>But mod_deflate can't chose which responses to gzip based on the
>>MIME-type for responses that are coming through
>>ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse. And with Zope I can't rely on extensions
>>(like .html), just on the MIME-type. Do I think these well?
>
> Zope can do "gzip" compression by itself.
>
> You can activate it via
>
>     "RESPONSE.enableHTTPCompression(REQUEST)"
>
> This activates "gzip" compression for precisely this response.

Thanks! Just on more thing... According to
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7393296&forum_id=12354
the gzip compression was enabled by default in Plone 2.0.x (only from
2.0.4 I guess), but will be disabled in 2.1. If it is true, why? Is it
not recommenced after all? (Actually I try to gzip only because my
predecessor did...)

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany