[Zope] Zope update

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Wed Jul 13 15:04:23 EDT 2005

Wednesday, July 13, 2005, 6:22:04 PM, J Cameron Cooper wrote:

> Josef Burger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to update from Zope 2.7.4 to Zope 2.7.6
>>
>> What is the easiest way?
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no description of how an update of Zope is
>> done. I'm running Plone on it. I tried to newly install Zope 2.7.6
>> and then copied the backed-up Data.fs file and the content of the
>> Products folder. It didn't work very well. There should be no version
>> conflicts with Plone as I checked on the Plone web site.
>
> "Didn't work very well" is not a good description of a problem.
>
> You should be able to replace the existing Zope SOFTWARE_HOME with a new
> version. (I don't know if over-writing is safe; I wouldn't count on it.)
> This may be easiest.
>
> You should also be able to install Zope in a different location, create
> a new instance, and copy over the config files, products, and Data.fs of
> your old instance.

Recently I had to move a Zope (Plone 2.0.x) instance, and I have found
that I can't just move the Data.fs. It stores several absolute paths
that become broken if the paths of the things (like of some files in
products) changes. So finally I have exported the objects (PloneSite
objects), and imported them into the new instance. It worked, however
then the user name of the last modifier of the objects was replaced with
the name of the user who did the importing /-: (while the last
modification date has remained intact -- strange). (Also, I seems one
have to be careful to create the same users in the /acl_users than in
the old instance, otherwise the exported stuff will have some strange
security errors.)

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany