[Zope] performance of textindexng2 vs. zctextindex

Francis Kelly zope at crubellier.com
Tue Jul 19 20:15:25 EDT 2005

I recently installed TextIndexNG2 2.1.1 on a system running Zope 2.7.6
on Fedora Core 3. I've been running some comparison tests with
ZCTextIndex, which is what our site currently uses. We're indexing
around 50,000 objects at the moment. For TextIndexNG2, this is the
configuration:

Indexed attributes  	 keywordSearchSource
Default encoding 	utf-8
Storage 	StandardStorage
Stemmer 	english
Splitter: casefolding 	enabled
Splitter: index single characters 	disabled
Splitter: max. length of splitted words 	64
Splitter: separator characters 	.+-_@
Default query parser 	PyQueryParser
Autoexpansion 	disabled
Stopwords 	english
Normalizer 	European
Use converters 	disabled
Near distance
Left truncation 	disabled

I've been struck that if the number of search hits is high, TextIndexNG2
is much slower than ZCTextIndex. For example, if I do a search on
'podcast' (our site deals w/ podcasting) I get about 14,000 hits.
ZCTextIndex returns the results in about 0.1 seconds; TextIndexNG2 takes
31 seconds or 300 times longer. In general, the more hits there are, the
bigger the difference between the two search indexes.

TextIndexNG2 is great: it has many features that we really want and
perhaps the cost of those features is performance vis-a-vis ZCTextIndex.
But I'm hoping that maybe I've overlooked an obvious or not-so-obvious
configuration issue that will enable me to speed up TextIndexNG2.

Thanks for any advice.

Francis Kelly
www.loomia.com