[Zope] Re: performance of textindexng2 vs. zctextindex

Francis Kelly zope at crubellier.com
Wed Jul 20 14:22:37 EDT 2005

Thanks for your response, Andreas, and thanks for writing TXNG in the
first place. I really appreciate the contribution.

>>> I recently installed TextIndexNG2 2.1.1
>>

>which is *pretty old*. Take a look at the v 2.2.0 which has been optimized
>over the time in different ways. Consider using StupidStorage as documented
>in the release notes.

Question re v 2.2.0:  on this page
http://www.zope.org/Members/ajung/TextIndexNG there are three
possibilities 2.2.0, 2.2.0b1, 2.2.0b2. The last modified column
indicates that 2.2.0 has been modified most recently, but I'm assuming
that the b1 & b2 versions are in fact more recent. Is that true?

Also, 2.2.0b1 is around 2MB, whereas the other two are 600K and I
noticed after downloading 2.2.0 that stemming support seems absent.

So, from all this I'm assuming that if I want stemming support I should
grab the 2MB 2.2.0b1. Is that right?

I'll look into StupidStorage.

>>> I've been struck that if the number of search hits is high, TextIndexNG2
>>> is much slower than ZCTextIndex. For example, if I do a search on
>>> 'podcast' (our site deals w/ podcasting) I get about 14,000 hits.
>>> ZCTextIndex returns the results in about 0.1 seconds; TextIndexNG2 takes
>>> 31 seconds or 300 times longer. In general, the more hits there are, the
>>> bigger the difference between the two search indexes.
>>

>Query speed depends on different things: the query, the implementation, the
>operations needed to be performed during the query. Because of some
>functionality TXNG needs to store much more information than ZCTextIndex.
>It did this as said above sometimes in a not so efficient way (see above).
>You might also look at TextIndexNG V3.

V3 is appealing but we're running 2.7.6 and I'm not sure that I want the
hassle of installing Five at this point. When we go to 2.8, which we'll
probably due in a couple of months, V3 will be an option.

Thanks for your help,
Francis