[Zope] Puzzling Import/Export problem

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Sat Jul 23 16:09:50 EDT 2005

A friend in Russia is still using my old ZClasses QSurvey product.

He is attempting to copy an installation from one machine to another,
and upgrade Zope to 2.6.4.

Exporting the product and instances works fine, but some object
instances will not import correctly.

A product instance is a folderish object that contains other objects.
One particular folderish subobject will not import correctly; all the
others import fine.  The .zexp of the entire product instance, with
subitems, etc., imports OK, but the one folderish object shows up as
"broken" in the ZMI.

Exporting that object as XML and reimporting after correcting the
appropriate class ID string results in a "BadPickleGet" error 7.

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module OFS.ObjectManager, line 561, in manage_importObject
  Module OFS.ObjectManager, line 578, in _importObjectFromFile
  Module ZODB.ExportImport, line 65, in importFile
  Module OFS.XMLExportImport, line 119, in importXML
  Module ZODB.ExportImport, line 75, in importFile
  Module transaction._transaction, line 368, in commit
  Module transaction._transaction, line 297, in savepoint
  Module transaction._transaction, line 294, in savepoint
  Module transaction._transaction, line 656, in __init__
  Module ZODB.Connection, line 1034, in savepoint
  Module ZODB.Connection, line 470, in _commit
  Module ZODB.ExportImport, line 140, in _importDuringCommit
BadPickleGet: 7

I have examined the xml export, and the only thing I can think of that
might be a problem is that some of the object IDs for some contained
items are base64-encoded and may contain Russian characters.  But that
does not seem to be the problem, since a similar, smaller import with
only ascii characters fails with the same traceback and BadPickleGet:10.

I realize that this might be an uninteresting edge-case.  My backup plan
is to write a script to pull the data out of the XML export and recreate
the objects.  Does anyone have any pointers on that?  I am having
trouble figuring out how that file is organized.

For completeness, I am using zope-2.8.0, but this happens on 2.7.6 as well.

-Jim Washington