[Zope] Plone doesn't show up in the Zope Interface - ./runzope issue

michael nt milne michael.milne at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:37:41 EDT 2005

Hello

This is my first experience of unix installs from source and I need a
small amount of help to finish off my installation.

I've installed Zope and Python from source, remotely, onto a RedHat
box and am able to access the browser based ZMI admin screen remotely.
I've followed the following instructions for getting Plone up and
running but on stopping and starting the zope instance, Plone isn't
available. I've tried stopping the service using the ZMI and
restarting using telnet.

       1. Download Plone 2 from http://www.plone.org/download, and
select the tarball file.
       2. Unzip the archive using the following: tar xzf CMFPlone2.0.tar.gz
       3. You'll find that a directory has been created called
CMFPlone-xxx, where xxx is the version (for example, CMFPlone-2.0).
       4. Move the contents of that directory into your Zope
installation's Product directory. For example, if the Zope Products
directory is in /var/zope, then do this: mv CMFPlone2.0/
/var/zope/Products*

The zope products directory is /home/zopeinstance/Products/ which
lists Plone-2.0.5

I also have an issue where running /home/zopeinstance/bin/runzope

using ./runzope as the zopeinstance user

starts the service but the Unix prompt just hangs and doesn't do
anything. I am able to get the browser management screen but on
exiting the telnet session the service stops.

Would anyone have any ideas at all?

By the way ./start_zope
and ./stop_zope
from the core /zopeinstance directory don't seem to work.

Thanks for any help

Michael