[Zope] How to read a file object

Nikko Wolf nikko-wolf at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 10:45:35 EDT 2005

John Poltorak wrote:

>I'm trying to learn some Python basics and hoping to use Zope as front end
>for writing and running a few snippets of code which may help me get a
>better understanding of how Zope and Python interact.

As one who picked up Python and Zope/Plone together I'd HIGHLY, HIGHLY
recommend that you avoid the extra complication of Zope when learning
Python.  Once you're past that, make sure you install the ExternalEditor
product for editing.

Use a simple text editor and run python on the command line (or look for
a GUI/context sensitive editor if you're into that sort of thing).
You'll save yourself a lot of headaches vs. starting inside Zope.

Python tutorials abound on the web, but I've not looked at them enough
to recommend any particular one.

Cheers,
Nikko