[Zope] 3rd Party Search Engine

Eric rubberduckee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:52:55 EDT 2005

Hi,
I'm in the process of integrating a 3rd party search engine with Zope and have
a question about being able to make this work. I'd like to use the spidering
capability of this search engine for it to build it's own index.

What should the most ideal approach be?

1) Should I write an object in Zope that will interface between the
search engine and the objects in Zope?
For example, writing an object that uses a script that the search engine could
call to Plone to return a list of objects of type 'documents' that were
modified in a given range of time.

2) Should I write an object in Zope that will make calls to the Zcatalog
to get back simliar results in 1)?
I'm concerned about having to manage both the ZCatalog and the 3rd-party search
engine's catalog. There may also be performance issues to consider.