[Zope] From Zope 2.5.1 to Zope 2.7.6

Tim Suter tsuter at cait.org
Thu Jun 23 12:31:46 EDT 2005

Yep, I think I hosed the new install.

I imported the old Data.fs and corresponding .zexp files over and now it
won't let me into the localhost:8080/manage interface even.  I keep
getting connection refused messages there.

I have restarted zope.  Tried to restore the working Data.fs file...but
all is still not well. When I point to the Start Page that everyone
should see, I get the authentication window and it does authenticate,
but then I get "Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server."

Do I have to start all over?  Which is ok and maybe more efficient in
getting this project off my plate (rather then peck my way through code
I have no understanding of, (python).  Unless you know what I can do to
fix it quickly.

Is there a way to cleanly uninstall Zope if I have to go this route?  I
compiled from the tar.gz and didn't use an RPM.

Then what I want to do is start all over and set up a knowledge base:

On an RHEL4 box:
A fresh install of Zope (2.8.0 now) with; an apache2 front end with
rewrite and redirect turned on so I can authenticate via LDAP, use our
internal MySQL instead of the Zope DB, I want anyone to be able to edit
freely provided they have the right authentication credentials from our
organization, then import all the old knowledge base data from the Zope
2.5.1 install on the other Debian box to use in the new fresh install of
Zope on the new RHEL4 install.

Can anyone provide me some notes if you have similar installs and what I
need to do to get this up and running?  I have many projects going on
right now, this one, is just the tip of the iceberg of Open Source
technology that I am trying to absorb.  Please don't tell me to RTFM
because I am doing that already.  My head is literally spinning with
Perl, Python, LDAP, Apache, Zope, Linux, Unix, OpenBSD....Don't get me
wrong, I love it.  I just need to make some progress on this through a
good HowTO whether its already documented and I have overlooked it or if
any of you would like to spend some time to help a very receptive
learner.

Thank you for any assistance,

Tim

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 08:09 +0100, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> On 6/22/05, Tim Suter <tsuter at cait.org> wrote:
> > FWIW, here's the output of the old 2.5.1 install:

> > So that tells me that there are many dependent on
> > bobobase_modification_time.  What does that mean and what do I need
> > do about it?
> >

> It is completely wrong to rely on bobobase_modification_time because
> that value changes when the object storage changes. It's much better
> to use something like 'last_modified_date' that you control yourself
> in your own code.
>
> What happens when you import any object is that
> bobobase_modification_time gets set to today() which might make all
> your objects appear to be unordered because every time you refresh
> (now on you zope276) they seem to jump around from place to place.
>
> Solution is nasty but straight forward at least. On your (zope 2.5.1),
> this product that you have instanciated as Knowledge, Argyle and
> Helpdesk, do you have control over it's source code? Assuming it's a
> python product it might look something like this::
>
> class MyProduct(Folder):
>     meta_type = 'My Product'
>     def __init__(self, id, title):
>       self.id = id
>       self.title = title
>     def getModTime(self):
>         return self.bobobase_modifiation_time()
>
> Now, what you need to do is to"copy" the bobobase_modification_time to
> a new attribute.
>
> class MyProduct(Folder):
>     meta_type = 'My Product'
>     def __init__(self, id, title):
>       self.id = id
>       self.title = title
>       self.last_modified_date = DateTime()
>     def getModTime(self):
>         return self.last_modified_date
>     def upgrade(self):
>         self.last_modified_date = self.bobobase_modification_time()
>
> And somewhere else you need to have a serious python script that loops
> through all instances and runs upgrade() on each. Something like this:
>
> for instance in context.objectValues('My Product'):
>     instance.upgrade()
>
> Good luck
>

> > Thanks much for your assistance;
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 17:33 +0100, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> > > Try something like this:
> > > $ cd zopehome/Products/
> > > $ grep -rn bobobase_modification_time .
> > >
> > > That will tell you if any of your diskbased python products rely
on
> > > bobobase_modification_time

Now, when I