[Zope] PHP from Zope - help wanted

Jim Abramson jabramson at wgen.net
Wed Mar 2 13:00:23 EST 2005

You won't have any problem learning Python - a _language_.   Be
prepared, however, to readjust your notions of how applications are
built, when switching to Zope.  In Zope, there is a lot more going on
behind the scenes between the incoming http request and the execution of
your scripts/pages (compared to PHP).  There is also a big difference in
how you deploy your app(s) - for example, unless you are using Zope
"Products" or "External Methods", you can pretty much say goodbye to the
idea of files containing code.  And unless you don't need control over
RDBMS transactions, you'll want to avoid the Zope Database Adapters.
Coming from PHP background years ago, I found these types of issues more
difficult to adjust to than any language difference.

That being said, Zope is as powerful/extensible as anything out there,
plus it's Python, which you'll love once you try.  People have hacked
out ways to use PHP in Zope - I haven't tried any of them, but I can't
imagine why you'd ever want to mix the two approaches.  Stick PHP pages
and a proxy to your Zope instance behind the same Apache if you have to
have them "together".

- Jim
(supposed to be .02 but I only had a nickel)