[Zope] Re: Read a file

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:00:46 EST 2005

Hi John,

> I want to read the contents of a file.I have a form
> where user uploads doc files.I want to give preview of
> that file after user uploads the file.What I am
> thinking is I will read the contents of that file and
> store it in another file with content-type text/html
> so that it can be displayed in the browser.But I have
> no idea how to read the contents of a file stored in
> zodb .Can someone help?
You don't need to start a new thread to ask. Just do a
reply to the answers you got and ask what you didn't
understand.

Anyway, answering to your question, you could start by
modifying this script:

http://www.zope.org/Members/mjablonski/howtoPDF

It produces a PDF on the fly, but you could do a doc to
html document. You just have to do some modifications:

* Add a parameter for the url where your word document is.

* Instead of calling htmldoc, install wvware (see my
   previous reply to your message) and call wvHtml.

* This method returns a PDF, but doesn't store it on the
   ZopeDB. So, if you want to store it on the ZopeDB, then
   you will have to do the following:

from OFS.Image import manage_addFile

container=self.restrictedTraverse(FolderURL,None)
manage_addFile(container,id,title=title,file=data)

There are may be more modifications, so, it won't work
at first. If you don't get it working, then post your code
and we will try to help you.

Regards,
Josef