[Zope] passing positional paramaters

Ivan Stout aibanhamano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 06:38:32 EST 2005

Jordi,

Personally, zope has made the web-interfacing so much easier for me (I
am coming form
attempting my entire project in LAMP . . . which was fun but soon
became overwhelming
when I made a mistake and had to figure out where). I think Zope
allows newbie programmers, like myself, to generate better, more
manageable code. So, in that respect, I can definitely recommend it.

As a simple web interface to a .po file, Zope would be very easy to
development on.
However, there are already a couple similar projects that use different tools
(http://translate.sourceforge.net/doc/tools-online_editors.html), so
you may want
to check those out first to see if you can modify them easily towards
your needs.

<shameless plug>
For my humble project, I am attempting to (and have recently
succeeded, thanks to
this list) not only have a way for people to input translations, but
also moderate
prior translation sentences. The translation sentences that get the
most relative
mods actually get used.

I am using a relational database, and each sentence in a separate
record. I use two tables
within Gadfly (the built-in Zope db) to do this. The idea is that
anyone can stop by
and just translate or vote on a couple sentences at a time, without
even bothering
with stuff that makes them look-up words in a dictionary. Hopefully,
with enough of a
diverse group, the group, as a whole, would not have to do any hard
translation work.
Some parts hard to everyone would remain, but then a "point system"
should cover that.

The user management support of Zope should allow me to more easily
implement a "point" system that will reward users for submitting the
correct translation and voting for the correct
translation. With these points, users will be able to buy the right to
post documents
they wish to be translated into another language. Hopefully, with
enough participates
the system will be self-sustaining and will generate a lot of publicly
available
documents in other languages (I am hoping a lot of OSS documentation will get
translated in different languages).

Of course, it remains to be seen whether this will work or not, so I
am eager to find out .  . .
<\shameless plug>

Anyway,  it depends on your needs, and if code exists elsewhere that
will give you mostly
what you want, then I would use that. However,  I believe Zope greatly
simplifies web
development  and have yet to find any downsides to it. So if you are
doing a lot of the web-interface stuff on your own, then I would use
Zope.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:16:52 +0100, f2396576 at est.fib.upc.edu